11.24.2010

dharma

Well, the first phase of the funeral is over.

Right as I flew into town and arrived home, everybody was dressed in black.

The family decided to go with a Buddhist celebration (?).

Eating vegetarian food, the sons and daughters of the deceased are not allowed to eat the duck/pork/chicken laid out on the table.

Anything that reminded them of happiness- family portraits- was covered.

The light was kept on in his room this entire time, and the all lights in the rest of the house were kept on when we left for the wake. My parents, aunts, and uncles are also not allowed to visit any other people's houses for a month. Checks written out in honor of my grandfather were sometimes written out as odd dollar amounts. I never thought my family was so superstitious.

The wake took place from 6 to 8 PM. 2 Buddhist monks (priestesses?) orchestrated the procession. Every immediate family member took their turn going to the casket, calling out grampa's name 3 times, and moving on. My grandmother took it the hardest.

A lot of kneeling and bowing occurred, with offers of food, money, water, tea for the afterlife. Incense filled the room with dust and smoke.

Paper was burned in the end.

Today, my brother carries his portrait while I, along with 5 other people, carry his body to the plot where he will be buried.

Shower time. Adios.

No comments: