2.28.2011

diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma

It's happening again. This phase where I come into work angry each day.

Is this a sign that I should just quit my job?

As much as I enjoy the science, is there a point to me working each day when everyday, I have to deal with the deficiencies of my PI and lab manager?

I consider my boss to be a blind idiot who is completely oblivious to the daily occurrences of lab. I consider my lab manager to be the dumbest person alive to have ever joined our lab, with the following personal attributes: lazy, procrastinates, unreliable, not punctual, not on top of things, irresponsible, blames others/external forces for his own mistakes, overly sensitive/defensive to criticism, unprofessional, rude, morally bankrupt, and vindictive.

I wrote up a list of the 10+ things I hate about working with my lab manager. No redeeming quality whatsoever came up. Granted, this IS a hate list. Even then, writing away one's anger, one should be able to discover some positive aspect about a person, right?

This puts me in a predicament, though. If I quit, I have free time to study and travel. On the other hand, I would have to explain this during interviews my reason for quitting, and asking my PI to write my letter of recommendation would be uncomfortable. I stay, I get a decent letter, but I have to spend another year dealing with these people, who are reluctant to change.

No comments: