3.22.2011

peds

I shadowed my boss's wife tonight in the Pediatric Urgent Care unit.

It was repetitive, but nice. I could definitely get used to a lifestyle that is predictable, and not so chaotic like lab.

The kids were... cute? The sick ones as well as the siblings. Interacting with the children was obviously much easier for me than interacting with the parents. The kids just kept staring at me and wanting to play. Ugh.

Although I can't say that I enjoy looking into kids' ears and mouths, even though it was interesting being able to view the tympanic membrane with that otoscope? What the hell is that instrument called?!

It also seemed as though the cure-all for every condition, for every child we saw in the ED, was acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

2 stomachaches, a strep throat, one with earaches, and deposits oozing out of another's eyes.

This seems more relaxed than what I'm used to in the ED. Surely there's something for everybody in medicine.

Final thoughts: I'd prefer looking at a child's brain. Somehow it doesn't gross me out as much as looking up their nose, mouth, and any other orifice. There's probably a lower chance of me having to ask about their urine and stool.

Medical information gathered: Triad of asthma, allergy, and ..., infection would be indicated by leukocytes in urine, but high protein indicates dryness/dehydration. Forgot what bilirubin indicated... high glucose for diabetes? Even tonight felt like drinking from a fire hydrant.

No comments: