8.21.2011

The Fray

One drawback to introspection is that when I dig deep to pull out my real reasons for becoming a doctor, those reasons are intimately linked to emotions.

As a consequence, these reasons turn into water and attempt to force their way out of my eye sockets.

However, I have trained myself for such circumstances, so only a film develops over my cornea.

My mother sent me another email a few days ago, declaring that she missed me. How different are Asian parents from one family to the next? I compare myself to Nants, and it seems as though she has more parental pressure. In my case, my mom and dad just miss me, so she send out emails to my brother and me wondering what we are up to. Perhaps I mentioned this in an earlier post, but in any case, she wrote a previous email stating how proud she was of me in relation to my promotion at work.

From my experience in Nants' phone calls with her parents, maybe Asian parents raise a male and female differently. I remember reading a while back that Asian girls tended to have higher suicide rates than any other ethnicity, possibly due to social pressures and expectations.

Something about this just can't be right. Sometimes I feel that parents should be proud if their children turn out to be good and nice. That isn't asking for much, is it? If their progeny turn out to be genuinely decent human beings, what more is there to ask of them?

No comments: