8.19.2011

sterling cooper

I tried to anesthetize a mouse today, and it bit me. The mouse was a male, so it was surprising because usually when we handle mice, the females are the more aggressive ones when it comes to scruffing. This mouse was specifically for Mant- I had to take care of it for her while she is currently traveling through India, celebrating a friend's wedding. She will be getting Henna tattoos all over her hands, riding elephants, and eating never-ending Indian cuisine served on banana leaves. India would be one destination I'd like to visit in the next year, along with Tibet, Australia, Europe, and South America. The problem is that I usually do not enjoy traveling unless it's work-related or has a purpose. Which is why I have been trying for the longest time to get people to come with me to Nepal to volunteer at an orphanage or hospital. People simple don't think that they can remove themselves from civilization, devoid of internet, for merely 2 weeks.

Maybe Clare was in fact accurate in his assessment of me. Maybe I do obsess over people.

Sometimes I think I like observing people simply to analyze them.

R&D needed some help on how to process the microarray data, and so I sat there next to him for most of the afternoon. I couldn't do much since he was at the helm, steering the windows on the computer to whatever panel he was interesting in viewing at the time. Therefore, I just stared at him.

He has a scar on his left middle knuckle, and an abrasion on the other, quite possibly from scraping a surface. I was inclined to ask him how he cut himself to get that scar, but he was staringly intently at the computer screen monitor, so I didn't want to disturb him.

The cuticles are also very pronounced on his fingernails. The whites elongate for about 2 to 3 mm before the pink of the nail emerges and fills the rest of the nail bed.

His arms are quite hairy; in fact, I believe they're the hairiest arms in lab. Underneath that forest of hair is a nice skin tone, even though it does not match with his upper arms nor his torso.

Errant hairs lie all about his neck, from front to back. In the front, one hair is emanating from a mole, which indicates that it's not cancerous. Definitely a good sign that it's not cancer. Other hairs sprout out from his back- I'm hardly comfortable with my body, being almost entirely smooth all over, and those hairs did nothing to ease my discomfort.

The elbows definitely aren't dry, and I can tell his skin is semi-soft, based off the numerous times he uncomfortably brushed against my arms. I'm not entirely sure why I prefer not to be touched, but the slightest skin contact with R&D made me uncomfortable.

Don't even get me started with the ears. Tiny bits of earwax are sprinkled on the outside perimeter, which could account for his difficulty in hearing sentences I say to him. The pinna are thin, which made me wonder if this was due to the birthing process. I've only heard that baby's head shapes can be altered because of the birth canal as well as how the baby sleeps in their bed. Discount the freckles on the nose and the recessed, narrowly positioned eyes.

This habit of his was only noticeable in the beginning, but it seems to happen whenever his eyes are concentrated on staring at something while actively working to find a solution. Does not matter if it's the microscope room, dissection scope, or simply staring at microarray data.

--- Ok, after some time I fell asleep. Now it's 12:42 AM, and I have food regurgitating up my esophagus. Not a pleasant feeling AT ALL. Should I stay up and write some more? ---

I should.

No comments: