5.23.2009

ouroboros

I had to drop off the projector adapter (for the Mac), so I stopped by Drab's lab (again...) Friday night, with a bag of various ramen goodies and a box of Quaker oatmeal squares- I know he doesn't buy good ramen nor good cereal.

Once I arrived there, he was busily typing away at the computer, hairy messy, sending out his draft qualifier proposal for initial review.

What bugged me was first walking into the lab, where every lab member with a direct line of sight to the entrance turned their heads to look at me. Even with a meager attempt to smile, wave, and be friendly, they all just turn right back to their work. Whatever.

Another oddity was that the tall brunette rotation student periodically stared at me while Drab and I were having a conversation. Eventually Drab asked me out to dinner, and I reluctantly agreed to Japanese food.

Not only are we studying pretty much the same area, same field of research, but so many other things seem to be coinciding. Both of us buying Japanese jeans, both of us getting into baseball. I started getting interested after watching a random baseball anime, and my lab wanted to do a group outing to a Giants game, but Drab's lab group ALSO wants to organize a field trip to AT&T Park as well. And THEN he was planning on going to a hipster dance club, which probably played the few genres of hipster music I don't mind listening to, except I didn't go because I still had a paper final to finish. Conversation just flowed. Ugh. I can't be enjoying spending time with Drab. That would mean not hating him anymore. I refuse. At some points the restaurant would just get considerably loud, and Drab's low voice often blended in with the noise, so whenever we were talking about politics (one of my least favorite conversation topics) and I couldn't hear him or read his lips, I would just stare at him and nod as if I took in everything he said. And yet again his feet brushed against mine...

The food was okay- Drab ended up paying for part of my meal because we just threw our cards down on the check, and the waitress must have just split the bill evenly in half. The tofu appetizer: used medium tofu (I would have preferred silken), soaked in a weak soy sauce and sprinkled with scallions. Ordered 5 different rolls, all much too tiny, much too unsavory to be worth $25, save for one set- must have been the yellowtail. So fatty, mmm...

Surprisingly, after taking the T line back to Embarcadero, I was waiting for the L line to take me back home. Once I got into the train and sat down, there was this figure standing right in front of me, so I decided to raise my head up only to find my friend/LRC coworker/archi Mary Juana. She's been in SF for a year and I didn't know about it. Jeez. Anyhow, we caught up for as long as she was riding on the train (so, to Castro), and we're supposed to be hanging sometime in the next month before she returns to Rice to finish her degree.

Also dreamed about lab again Friday night. Something about broccoli being stuck near the gum of my top front teeth, but nobody would tell me about it.

Should go to sleep, now that I have the time. Still need to mutilate Drab's qualifier proposal though.

No comments: