3.01.2009

orthorexia

Looked in my closet today- I STILL have Yoshi's stuffed owl, the brown one with the Rice shirt on it. It's buddying up with my Drab yeast doll and my rabbit inside my dusty closet.

Absinthe for brunch with Clare and his high school friends. Apparently we went there because this place had a worker who was in the most recent season of Top Chef? She didn't win though, so I was confused as to why we would go to a loser's restaurant. Oh well.

I had two types of oysters first... Stingray and Beau Soleil. Stingray, not so great. Not spicy enough, too tiny, lacked punch. Beau Soleil, better than the first. A decent size, tasted smooth, cold, great sprinkled with lemon juice. B.

Main course: Breakfast sandwich. Includes fried duck egg, Raclette (?), andouille sausage, and griddled brioche. Crispy, buttery, toasted bread, a little too much oil though. Sausage was crispy and packed with enough spices. The duck egg was also cooked well, in that the egg yolk was still uncooked, but the egg white surrounding it was well done. The egg yolk was also sturdy enough to where even if I poked once into it, the yolk didn't spill all over my sandwich or plate. The salad that came with it on the side was alright. I don't really like arugula because of it's bittery flavor, and it came mixed with balsamic vinegar and some olive oil as dressing. B+.

Dessert: biggest mistake of my brunch, but I ordered it anyway because the sandwich was tiny. Buttermilk panna cotta. Wanted to try it because it had all sorts of tangy stuff and had never eaten it before. Lemon gelee on top, encasing lemon thyme tulle in a conical glass, with huckleberry compote spread on top. Lemon gelee was too sour, compote was too tart (probably out of season?), and the tulle was innocuous. Nothing impressed me about this dessert except for the glass vessel in which it sat. C-.

Every time I see Clare's friend, she always appears attractive, at least to me. Last time she had her hair up, but here she was just as pretty, also wearing the same white jacket from last time we met. Recessed eyes, defined nose bridge, adequately proportioned lips, quirky outfit, flattering figure. I had to force myself to maintain eye contact because the top of her shirt was unbuttoned, and I found my gaze meandering downward every couple of minutes. Nice teeth too. Ew, why am I interested in one of Clare's high school friends??

Clare ended up dropping me off on Clement, where I managed to find the right pork meat (on the spine), preserved pickled vegetables, preserved duck egg, spring onions, ginger, garlic, and Chinese sausage. Except for the sausage, most of it is going into the congee I'm preparing for my sick lab mate and his wife/kid.

Off to study. Adieu.

No comments: