6.16.2008

fu ru

On a whim, decided to head to Irving to shop for Chinese groceries.

Just stepping off the bus, the smell of Asian food saturated in the air sent me on a trip.

Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Asian desserts, Asian supermarkets = Nirvana.

My version of heaven would be an enormous supermarket, with the everyday low prices, minus the child labor in the sweatshops like Walmart.

I decided to stop at my favorite supermarket, the one on 23rd. Me, in a market, without a plan of attack. I just started grabbing whatever was on my mind- empty heart cabbage, fermented bean curd, silken tofu, bing cherries for 99 cents/lb, preserved vegetable, shanghainese noodles, chinese noodles, spinach noodles. I even grabbed the whole chicken wings with tongs in the meat section, put it in the bag, got my hands dirty while grocery shopping. I hope I washed them before eating my sandwich.

Good things don't last long, though. I went back to the sauce section to figure out what I needed in order to make a marinade for the chicken wings, to add to the soup base for my ramen noodles from scratch. Picked up a generic Chinese marinade, hoisin sauce, and then started to look for a chili paste.

I was browsing through the chili paste section when this sudden memory came up about a time Drab was telling me about his favorite brand of chili paste that he liked to use/add to his instant ramen at Jones. So I was instantly brought back to reality, where the angels stop singing, and the Chinese cashier ladies are yelling at all the customers in the store.

When I got back to my apartment and started unpacking all the way, I stared at the chili paste that I got for a moment. I just picked out the cheapest one available, but once I started looking at the plastic container and focusing on the rooster label (not Sriracha), it suddenly dawned on me that THAT was the exact chili paste that Drab likes.

Here's what I think about this memory: Right-click: "Today @ Irving" file -> Move to Trash. Right-click: Trash Can -> Empty Trash. Prompt: "Are you sure you want to remove the items in the trash permanently? You cannot undo this action." Click: YES!

Oh yeah, I'm also going to send my 10 hour per week sex class to the trash can as well.

1 comment:

Roopy said...

Technically that memory can STILL be recovered... unless you move other data to the exact same disk partitions as were used by that memory.

Good luck with that.