9.05.2008

cerumen

So much for not getting a rejection this week. The thing is, I don't even know why I'm getting rejected by Bank of America. Some point rewards program. OKAY...

Once I'm done setting the schedule with my new PI, I'm going to start doing research.

SO maybe I should have listened to Poorneel and applied to med school this year- I recalculated my BCPM GPA, and it's actually a tenth higher that I had erroneously thought. Oops? Haha OH WELL! I guess it means I can devote more time to research this year than trying to improve my GPA.

I was also listening to these podcasts about med school interviews, and basically the interviewers just want to talk to someone who's passionate about what they do. In translation, this is like how Clare loooooves talking to Isle and B-米 because they're sooooo passionate about life. Essentially, my interviews will be me talking to Clare. I only hope that I don't blurt out, "Jackass!" in the middle of conversation.

Classes in physiology, molecular genetics, maybe neurological disease. Anyhow, only sticking with 4 this semester. My plan last year was to start off slow and push myself to see how much I could handle. This time around, it's probably better to see if I can tackle 4 classes in conjunction with research and volunteering.

My Proust was a Neuroscientist book came in today. So far I've only read the prelude, but it seems interesting, although I don't get why there's a seashell-shaped biscuit on the front cover. This got me to surfing on the internet to discover that it's a Madeleine cookie (pastries aren't my forte). I suppose le Madeleine is in reference to the cake that was mentioned in his more famous work, "In Search of Lost Time," some literary manuscript about memory. Connection? The author used to be a research tech in Eric Kandel's lab (the Austrian neuroscientist who worked on Aplisia, formation of long term memory, etc.). Ding.

When the author was describing each artist, I tagged each of them with my modern day equivalents. I could be Paul Cezanne: "...would stare at an apple for hours." Either him, or Igor Stravinsky, "...trying NOT to please his customers," while Drab would be Auguste Escoffier, "...always trying to please his customers." I replace "customers" with "friends" in those quotes. Then, Clare would be Gertrude Stein: "...likes to play with words."







Even the hinge is detailed in this house...


I never expected to see this kind of sign in California.

No comments: