10.11.2008

fleur de lys

Have your nuts ever been slapped against a bus seat? Yeah, definitely not a joyride.

What a rough week. Can't believe I had to spend the weekend in lab. Although there was definitely less yelling today. My cells were alive, so I guess I didn't kill them with the procedure I concocted on the fly. My medical student coworker invited me to go on neurosurgery Grand Rounds with her!

One of the side effects of waking up early in the morning is having to deal with the elderly who wake up at that hour. Some guy was in the pharmacy asking me if I worked there, and if I knew when the clinic would open.

Another old guy was sitting on the bench waiting for the bus. He struck up a conversation with me. What I learned was that he used to be a bus driver in the 50s, and that every day feels like a Sunday to him. I reply,"Oh, so that must be relaxing." He says,"Yeah... it gets boring after a while." I don't know why I try to keep socializing, so I ask him,"What do you do in your free time then to not get bored?" He responds,"Writing my book, and walking my dogs." So I asked him if he were writing an autobiography or memoir. His reply: "Well sort of. The title of the book is 'Public Education: It Sucks!'" He's also getting his car next month, so he won't have to ride the bus anymore.

While working in the cell culture room, I noticed this semi-attractive Asian girl walking around in the same room. Then when I was under the hood, she walked over to my side to catch a glimpse of me. Being unusually nice again, I turned to face her and said, "Hi." She greeted back, telling me her name is Tiffany. I introduced myself, saying I was working in so and so's lab, and she told me that she was working in this other guy's lab down the hall. Maybe we'll see more of each other.

One disadvantage of having to wake up before 8 on weekdays: waiting at the bus stop when all of a sudden three trucks filled with port-a-potties in the back drive past you, with the wind blowing in your face.

Later on after arriving on campus and grabbing lunch, I noticed this class that was dancing outside. They were flicking their legs, flailing their arms, and moving their groin back and forth in this pulsating fashion. African tribal dance. The only thing I could thing of at the time was ugh, Drab would probably enjoy doing this shit.

Oh yeah, also, when I was walking towards campus, I walked past this girl who was talking on her phone. She was crying, and the one line I heard from her was,"I can't believe I fell for his shit!" I can't believe she won't shut up about it!

1 comment:

Bryce said...

Hi! I've been without internet so it's been a while since I've read your blog (or commented). I don't know if you were just in a good mood... but you sound suspiciously FRIENDLY these days. HMM?

Hope everything is going well!