2.29.2008

saccharine

Of course I know your middle is Mark. What's your point, drab?

I'm thinking about going on a diet. Apparently exercise and nutrition go hand in hand when it comes to improving your health. So what does that mean? Reducing fat and junk food from my meals, to begin. No more frozen pizzas. No more kettle-cooked chips. No more fried chicken. I think I just might start to cry. I'll start in Chinatown tomorrow to find the cheapest produce first.

Looking for bookmarks, I search around my room to find a few placed in Me Talk Pretty One Day, Sputnik Sweetheart, and East of Eden. In the first two books, they were left somewhere around the middle of the book, which made me question whether or not I had actually finished them. Weird, how it only took a few pages near the ending to recall what the entire story was about. I suppose I read those books to get into the minds of those who suggested them to me, see how other people view the world. Quite humorous.

Finished reading Katrina Firlik's Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, book about neurosurgery and her years in residency. It would probably be more interesting to see it in action- drilling into the skull, opening a small flap, and poke away.

Next book reading: Botany of Desire. What seemed like it would be an easy read quickly changed once I noticed that the first topic of desire was sweetness. That's going to be a tough pill to swallow. Michael Pollan is actually a professor at Berkeley. Perhaps I could just cross the bridge over to the East Bay and talk to the author in person?

I feel like downing an entire pork roll right now (the loaf of meat that you shave into deli slices to put in Banh Mi- MMM).

Reading cookbooks in the campus store rouse about memories that leave me chuckling and disturbing the peace. I was flipping through this one book by Kylie Kwong (poser), and saw a picture of her with her mouth on a straw sticking into a bun. Xiaolongbao. Haha Clare would probably die if he could have one of those. Reading the description of what the broth actually is did not whet my appetite. Next I flipped on over to thie recipe for MaPo Doufu, which calls for Szechuan peppercorns. This led my mind on a track back to last summer when a certain someone tried to make this dish in their predominantly redneck hometown with NON-Szechuan peppercorns. Giggle loop. Then I trekked on over to 2 summers ago when a certain lady I lived with tried to make pan-fried bitter melon and ended up putting TOO MUCH salt into the dish. All I could taste was salt in the end.

No comments: