2.14.2008

schleissen

Newest obsession: Mormons. Not those strict, morally up righteous ones that live in Utah. The normal ones that live everywhere else.

Fufu's. Always the safe choice. TOFU VILLAGE?! That better not be the one next to the Cantonese restaurant in Dun Huang square. OR the one right next to Golden Foods Supermarket.

Cooking whore. I always prepare too much. Today dealt with pickling cucumbers, carrots, and daikon to put in my Banh Mi. Made enough to fill about 8 sandwiches, if 8 people ate 8 sandwiches each. Pork loaf slices, head cheese, mayonnaise, fish sauce, pepper, salt, pickled vegetables, pate, diced onions, cilantro (optional) all on a toasted baguette. Want some???

Another shooting. At another school. I should be studying for my math quiz, but this intrigues me. So I've been looking at shootings in the U.S., starting from as early as 1997. Within a span of 12 years, here are states involving shootings: Alaska, Mississippi, Kentucky, Arkansas, Pennsylvania(3), Oregon, Colorado(2), New Mexico, Michigan, Florida, California, Minnesota(2), Tennessee, Wisconsin, Washington, Virginia, Ohio, and Illinois. All of the shooters were male, and about half killed themselves while the other half are sentenced to life in prison. Ages ranged from 6 to graduate. What would induce such behavior in adolescents? Is it a fault within the educational system itself, or are the shooters just mentally ill? Could it be the way that schools naturally constuct its own microcosm, where students are split by class, race, gender? Kids at that age can be pretty cruel towards each other if someone is different. There's also the increasing pressure to succeed, topped off by fierce competition between classmates, which raises the bar even higher to achieve personal goals. Maybe there's just trouble in their own household. What would be the highest priority in someone's mind at that age. Fitting in, right?

Magic the Gathering is still popular in college over here. And Street Fighter. People also etch Hella in the school bathrooms and on the school desks. That word haunts my eyes and ears 3 times a week.

In a science class Wednesday, I was thinking over some article in a science magazine about kissing that I had read. When I stopped thinking about it, I finally noticed that I was sucking on the middle knuckle of my middle finger. Jeez I hope no one saw that.

2 comments:

X X said...

HAHAHAHA I love that Hella is haunting you, and that some people are so enamored with it they enscribe it on bathroom walls and carve it on their desks.

I just realized that when I think of what your life is like now, it's still summer and you are deciding whether to go to cooking school or medical school. No part of me has until now realized that it's February 2008 where you are too.

Jing said...

I <3 fufu cafe. remember the place nextdoor which wasn't nearly as good but cheaper? juicebox is also a must.