7.05.2008

recherche

I AM talking about a German with a pointy hat! Now when you ask if "we" can get 小龙包 sometime soon, do you mean "we" inclusive, or are you just going to exclude me when the time comes? Because if it's the latter, don't bother inviting me right now. Haha and you didn't have to send me the yelp link. My specialty in any city I visit has always been Chinese food. I leave it up to the rest of you to figure out the other cuisines.

I don't even know what 御当たり means! Haha why don't you like laowai? I only used laowai because it appeared in my book. Speaking of...

Stayed up until 5:30AM reading it, and finally finished it after 265 pages. The Last Chinese Chef... GOD I LOVE CHINESE FOOD. The book could have been greater if they omitted the part where the food journey for the man and woman culminated into a night of passionate and sweaty sex. Gross! What a way to spoil my appetite. Then the narrative started making me daydream about these ridiculous romantic fantasies between me and particular people. Or person, rather.

What did I like about the book... obviously the food, and the depth at which they go to describe Chinese food culture and how it reminded me of my family. The levels at which Chinese food tries to excite the taste buds- texture, flavor, subtlety, complementarity, 鲜. How history has influenced what people ate, why people eat in groups, differences in Chinese versus American dining, how I've barely scratched the surface with Chinese food. Makes me want to visit China again just to eat what I missed last time.

I wonder if sex is that obstacle I have to overcome to make myself "complete." Probably not. I'm going to make a tofu/egg dish, a dipping sauce composed of jalapenos/soy sauce/oil, and napa in a white garlic sauce. Steamed rice.

Oh yeah, I should probably start on my paper. Anybody know of a good topic concerning the environment?

1 comment:

Clarence said...

yay! yummy! yes! can we go next weekend?