2.15.2009

garofalo

My hair!!! Decided to try out a new hair salon this time around. Walked right into the place, nobody was in there. All the hairstylists were sitting around, waiting for someone to show up. Once I walked through the door, all the stylists stood up and started waving hand motions towards their chair for me to sit in.

Maybe I'm just saying the wrong thing in Cantonese? Maybe it's the language barrier that's getting me into trouble all these years. Ivy, the lady who cut my hair, decided to trim down everything, give me a side bang, and left the back long. Translation: Asian 80s style mullet that still seems to be the trend over in Asia, for people in their 20s/30s.

Once again, I had to walk past another person having a phone conversation with their significant other. Here's how it went: "Oh, I'm wearing a sweater..." This girl has completely changed the way I see the world.

An Asian worker at the fast food Chinese restaurant on campus was wearing a YesAsia.com t-shirt. I suppose this only surprises me since I used to frequent that site when I bought those terrible romantic comedies. Drink Drank Drunk?! Not enough drinking.

An old man sitting in front of me on the 18 bus was wearing a hearing aid that looked more like an ear plug. It reminded me of the type of hearing aid that my grampa was wearing for a while until they realized the size was too big for him. I was really tempted to just start singing a tune in his ear, to see how he'd react.

Met an angry black man on the N-Judah line Sunday afternoon. Fight the power! Fight the oppression!

Had a nice talk with my Benihana, who's other mission in life is to reduce ignorance, partly by steering people away from organized religion. Throughout the conversation, too, it seemed like everybody in lab was wondering what I'm going to do after I'm done with school this summer. And it SEEMS that working in lab might be a highly likely option, assuming I'm reading the right cues/context clues from Benihana. Then again, I mostly take people's words at face value and don't assume anything. But still, that's kind of exciting! I might have a job like real people!

Ugh, I'm stuck remembering someone's birthday looming over the horizon.

Update: Befriended 10 Asian ladies on QQ (one of whom is 4 years old), 2 boys (19 and 23). No idea who these people are...

No comments: