4.19.2008

blaue blume

Friday night- my first night out on the town in a while.

My other new goal for the year is to get trashed at least once to the point where I don't remember anything from that night. Hmm, at least is suggesting that I want to do this more than once. Hopefully one time will be enough.

Learning American history through music. Going through music from the 50s to now- I supposed I've knocked out half of it since I'm an 80s fan and grew up in the 90s. Going back to the 50s, 60s, 70s- there's a couple nice French songs, about how love sucks, naturally. There's even a number one hit that was Japanese back in the day. I think the song was "Sukiyaki."

Ah right. Friday night.

Clare called me while I was in the bathroom at the mall, where the theater is located. My butt was vibrating the entire time while I was trying to finish. I had a feeling that Clare invited Drab to come see the movie as well; my suspicions were confirmed once Clare decided to inform me at the last minute of Drab's attendance.

The movie- sexual innuendos thrown all over the place. How dare Wong Kar Wai make food sexual. Even if those were lacking, casting Norah Jones as the lead actress was a large mistake on WKW's part. Maybe the name was misconstrued through the translation. Let's hope so. Terrible!

During the movie- Drab/Flab had decided to bear my fangs and sit next to me instead of Clare. So what did I have to endure? Drab still being fidgety. His foot tapping against my leg, his arm grazing mine on the armrest, his head leaning in my direction. On top of that, I smelled something funky coming out of his mouth when he started eating his hot dog- Clare and I found out later that it was alcohol. Scratching his head, rubbing his eye, running his fingers through his hair right next to me. Something was also amiss with his hair. Even though it was cut, it looked like someone had done a poor job, as the back was lopsided and the sides uneven. Again, later discovering under bright lights that my suspicions were true. Megara had cut it. Asking if I were still mad; his blue contacts and fake Swedish ancestry can't fool me. "... we can click tiles."- in reference to Mahjong. He must have a book of these quips hidden somewhere. I don't know HOW someone can consistently use phrases that create an uncomfortable, flirty, awkward situation. Ugh, I'm supposed to be mad. Ruining my momentum. I don't forgive that easily.

At least I wish I didn't.

Bonfire of the Vanities- Drab's friend Yawn was having some party on the beach in the park, so I had acceded to going with Clare and Drab. I finally had met Yawn/Jan Brady, my supposed replacement/substitution for Drab. Impressions? Well, he was nice when he introduced himself. Hipster glasses, hipster shoes, jeans that didn't flatter, a fat ass, and not as attractive as what I expected my replacement to look like. In addition, stories of him at the lab suggest that he constantly seeks attention. His (words used to convey jokes)/(successful jokes) ratio was large, which made me feel like replacing him with B-米 in some instances (although B speaks to quickly for me to count the words to calculate the funny ratio, so this study may be biased). That, and I got this weird feeling that he's whitewashed (therefore hard to believe that he's from Hong Kong) and uncomfortable with the presence of other Asians since it might throw off the previous dynamic where he was the unique Asian guy in the group. So all in all, I really don't see how Drab thinks he can replace me with this character. I bet it's just because he's Asian. Racist.

Then again, it's a first impression. Things may change. For better or worse. In either case, he's entertaining to an extent.

Sparky's. 24-hour "diner." Full of hipster staff, and one hipster black man with very short jean-shorts. Order? Tuna sandwich and hash browns. I asked the waiter if they served tator tots, and he had to ask what it was. Some things I miss about Texas... Anywho, the food tasted really good. But then I got sober. C+. I told Drab that Janey thinks I have too high standards for him. He had the nerve to agree.

After having talked to Clare and Drab, I had some introspection. Here's the conclusions that I've reached:

-Expect NOTHING from your friends/have low-to-no standards for them.
-Friends are those within physical contact. Long-distance friendships are inconvenient and therefore meaningless.
-I come across as angry when I answer phone calls, explaining why people are afraid to call me/stopped calling me, therefore explaining why we don't hang out as much lately (maybe...).
-I'll have more in the next entry. I'm supposed to be working on a problem set.

1 comment:

Roopy said...

Yo Siu!

I guess you've been down a bit, due to wavering faith in the reliability of other people. Allow me to help you.

The reason you want to have low standards for people is because you are afraid of getting close to anyone. However, until you realize that fears will always be there, you will not let anyone close to you. See, we must live with fear, fear is our friend, and we only grow and improve because we go hand-in-hand through life with fear.

Yeah, I read it in some self-help type book.