10.07.2007

crisis

Oh my. It's been three days since my last post.

Cell Neuro exam. Easy as shit. Getting tired of school, needing something more challenging to do. I need 6 months of restaurant experience at least before entering the CIA. Speaking of which, how Drab manages to go there before I do surprises me. I hate him. Hopefully the shirt will make up for it, but from the preview that I got, that shirt looked like one of those shirts people get from friends/relatives and either hang it up in their closet, never to wear it again, or they wear it only to sleep at night.

It seems the boys are catching up to the girls. When it comes to sex.

Bluegrass festival- didn't catch much of it, even though Clare came over, stayed over to watch it.

Darjeeling Limited- excellent soundtrack, minus the doodoodoo song. The movie was great, too. This is saying a lot since I don't really like any of Wes Anderson's movies except for Rushmore. I tried watching Lust, Caution today. What the movie should be called instead is Asians, Caution because you need to be warned about NOT going to see the movie on the weekends for two reasons: the tickets are sold out, and every Asian and their tactless Asian mother are going to see that movie. I'm going during the weekday, when people will be working. Jesus.

For dinner, Leigh-ugh Clare and I went to Luna Park, an Italian/American cuisine establishment at the Mission. Moderate pricing, available seating (even though it was a tiny round table at the front while the rest of the seats in the house were booths), and 80s muzak. 2 appetizers: Goat cheese fondue with apple slices and toasted pieces of bread, and Gourmet corn dogs with fluffy batter and filled with sausage, accompanied by three versions of mustard (honey, dijon, regular). Apples and cheese- not so great a combination. The goat cheese was fine along with the corn dogs.

Main dish: Pork cutlet stuffed with mushrooms and Gruyeres cheese, breaded and fried and sitting atop a mound of mashed potatoes with string beans on the side, finished off with a cranberry sauce atop the pork itself. I would recommend this plate for those who can eat pork. They fried the pork exactly as I would want most fried foods- crispy and without an excess of grease on my plate. You get a variety of flavor profiles that you can mix or experience separately to your liking. The string beans were boiled but still crisp and splashed with a sour lemon sauce while the cranberries contributed the sweet but not too sugary flavor to the dish. Mashed potatoes- these could have been better with more texture, but I guess that depends on the person's individual preferences. Onion slices were mixed in with a hint of garlic, no pepper. B+ to A-.

Dessert- WORST WAY TO END MY NIGHT. oh my god! So to celebrate the life and times of beloved Ray/Re, we three decide to eat an entire cake. What we ended up purchasing was a chocolate bundt cake from Bi-Rite, which we took with us to Twin Peaks to eat in the frigidity. What we ended up purchasing was vomit in the shape of a wheel. AHHH! I compromised to eat something sweet for Re, but this was semi-sweet, dense, and lacking in flavor/moisture. It took me forever to finish my third. So we all know that chocolate contains flavonoids and endorphins, which are supposed to make us happy. After eating that cake, I believe I sank into a deep clinical depression. I knew I should have said something when we were picking the cake at the supermarket.

: I wasn't doing anything IMPORTANT when you called. Oh right. Romantic crisis. It definitely sounded like a crisis, as you were gabbing and I couldn't understand your nonsense.

I'm considering going to Hong Kong next year, which may interfere with interviews if I applied to any professional/grad school.

Ideas considered: research with birds or marine organisms, particularly squid (I think either Euprymna scolopes, or Loligo pealei- 2 different kinds of squid); culinary certificate/degree.

1 comment:

Bryce said...

Why did they release Darjeeling Limited so early where you live??

I like your description of the cake as "vomit in the shape of a wheel."