9.15.2007

f^n

I can at least rely on the painters not coming in on the weekend. Whew.

I opened up my box of goodies- MyBook, headphones, printer cartridges, and an LED flashlight.

I finally understand what Poorneel meant when he said it was inefficient to have separate hot/cold water faucets. As I was trying to wash my cold hands with warm water this morning, I find that there's only one setting for the hot faucet: SCALDING! While I'm burning the skin off of my left hand, I'm freezing the right one. I thought I was supposed to feel something in between and not the two extremes, like those experiments where you put one hand in an ice bath and the other in hot water.

That lovely Jewish/Russian couple, who are actually nice and will talk to you in this apartment complex (or at least they do so now because they desire my place), recommend that I lease out my other room to someone else. Hmm. I already had enough trouble from this summer when I got stuck with not one, but THREE. I actually saw the Vietnamese one the other day, because I decided to be a good student and arrive at school early. As soon as I saw this scrub in sandals on the sidewalk, my natural reaction was to duck. He didn't see me. He didn't see me even as he got on the bus and sat DIRECTLY ACROSS from me. I lowered my head, acting as if I were too sleepy to look up. I kept my head down for the rest of the ride to the school. He never recognized me- maybe it's the haircut or that I'm toting around a messenger bag instead of that bright red backpack that singles me out around campus.

Yesterday I decided to be not mean as usual- told a woman "Bless you" after she sneezed; also watched her stuff for her when she needed to head out to the bathroom. OH YEAH. Even food is prejudiced towards this couple concept, along with studying in public. If you are a single in the city, you can't go to the bathroom without having to pack up all your stuff with you, possibly losing your seat in the house. It's always a burden to ask the person next to you to watch their stuff since they don't really have any obligation towards the safety of your belongings. What about food- Pu Pu Platter, for TWO. Soup, for TWO. My restaurant is going to say for THOSE WHO CAN EAT TWICE AS MUCH. Or rather, for THOSE WHO ARE REALLY HUNGRY, but in a more elegant manner depending on how high-class I may want it to get.

More importantly, would it be better for me to go out and take tap dancing lessons, or for me to just buy the shoes (for some price) and teach myself from this book for only $25 at Borders? Projects that I am also picking back up: drawing manga (once I get sketches of characters), learning Cantonese and Mandarin (medical context?), and Mah Jong. OH Janey and Nants are so lucky they can be old asian ladies in 40+ years- they'd get to play in those gambling circles. Those hos upstairs are playing it, I know it. The distinctive clatter of tiles, the square playing table, and 4 old hags. They're taunting me all day long- they seem to never stop playing! I came back around 10 last night and they were still shuffling away.

I suppose I should shower now and go out to start studying. MMM Devo! I'm working for the Republican party in that class. Don't ask. Not by choice.

I also scared the shit out of me last night when I was marveling at the many coats of paint around the apartment. I decided to close my door so that less cold air would come in, but when I tried to open it again, it was stuck. I pulled. Nothing. I pulled harder. Still nothing. Turns out the top portion of the door was jammed to the door frame. I started freaking out as I kept pulling and nothing was happening, wondering if I would be stuck in that room until the people come back in the morning. i also didn't want to destroy the door since I'd have to pay for it. After putting both hands to the knob and a leg to the wall, I managed to get the bedroom door open. Jesus.

No comments: