5.16.2008

engelbert humperdinck

I get advice from Clare AFTER my interviews. Very helpful.

Think I am getting my hopes up- I started dreaming last night about getting a job offer via email. The email had, in large font, "CONGRATULATIONS!" at the top, followed by all these GIFs of red balloons.

I'm toning it down by planning ahead my summer schedule without a job in mind- classes, volunteering, cooking, maybe the MCAT.

I've been waiting for an email, call, anything from the job I applied for, and the only calls and emails that I've received thus far are from Drab. Ugh, getting excited about a phone call, only to find that it's Drab, asking me to dinner. Count the double negatives.

So Drab had decided to choose soul food, or Drab AND Jan Brady did, and I agreed since it would be one more day that I didn't have to deal with grocery shopping. Only problem is, once I got off the bus at Geary, my feet started hurting. I had gotten blisters on both heels from walking in dress shoes for the interviews this week, but popped them on Thursday, causing about a milliliter of pus to ooze out from each foot. The raw skin underneath started rubbing against the back of my shoes, so I had to tiptoe all the way from 14th to 24th Ave., since no bus was coming down that way.

Even from two blocks away I could notice Drab and his awkward demeanor, a beacon for my destination. The back of the hair was okay- the top could use some work. I'm guessing a friend must have cut it. Jacket was tolerable, which I had washed, so I know exactly how many days it has been since Drab had not washed it- about 2 months from Beer Bike. Waiting for tables, Drab had failed to pay attention when the man was calling out his name, so the table was given away to some other person. When we went to sit down at the table, it was insufficiently bussed, as there were still crumbs laying on my seat.

Dinner: Drab, again fiddling with his hands, moving them across the filthy table like a piano, playing with crumbs. Odd shave- maybe recently, since it looked like a tan, which is rare for someone with such a pale complexion. My meal... two fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, corn, yams, and mac&cheese. I wanted to try the gamut of food offered in order to make a more accurate judgment of the place.

Verdict: I bit into this chunk of fat when I was eating my pork chop, and I didn't want to spit it out because it would look gross on my plate, so I forcefully chewed on it until it was okay to swallow. It was disgusting. The yams: doused in brown sugar and cinnamon, with black specs in it- could have been a dash of pepper. The mac and cheese- the cheese was crusty. Mashed potatoes and gravy- a bit too much gravy, which left my potatoes more liquid than solid. The corn tasted like kernels from a can, sweet, but with a faint taste of butter. The complementary corn muffins- hard as brick on the outside, crumbled on the inside. I've never had a corn muffin before, but if it were supposed to resemble anything like corn bread, it was less than satisfactory. The sugar overload almost put me in a diabetic coma.

Grade: B. I haven't had soul food in a while, so I'll be a little more lenient. Jan Brady seemed to be in love with it. He must sit farther on the quantity part of the food spectrum than I do. Then again, he keeps going to Panda Express even though he's from Hong Kong. You'd think someone who lived in a place filled with authentic Chinese cuisine would have a more selective palate than to settle for Americanized Asian Food. Maybe it's all part of the process to become more American through your digestive tract.

Outside: weather was actually nice today. Just the right amount of cold to wear a t-shirt. While I always seem to be dehydrated all the time, Drab seems to have plenty of water oozing in the form of saliva out of his mouth. It was amusing seeing how he tried to cover it up. Drab was right about Jan Brady bouncing his hips.

Leaving: Leigh-ugh and I took the 38-bus line since we were headed towards destinations along the same route, and I was wondering why Drab didn't get on as well, seeing as how he needed to get down to the Sunset. I got off at Park Presidio, only to find that I had to wait about 10 minutes before the next bus arrived. I prayed that the bus would get there before Drab did so that this awkward second encounter would not ensue. God does not like me, because Drab be coming round the mountain when he comes. Not only did I have to deal with Drab, but I had to deal with water dripping on my head because of the dense fog running through the trees above. Searching for my PI based on clues I mistakenly blogged about- soooo sneaky.

Conclusions: a bit too negative? a bit too honest? standards too high? too objective? I want to take some hip hop/breakdance classes.

No comments: