5.22.2008

xerostomia

It's been about 4 days since I've last posted- mainly being preoccupied with housing/hosting Poorneel in these few days.

I guess I'll start with tonight and work backwards, start with the b_ad and then go towards the better.

ChaYa. B/B+, closer to the B. So Poorneel wanted to hang out with Drab, and Drab was just coming in after having been home for a week. SO I end up having dinner with Drab, and you all know how those usually end.

Well, don't expect anything different from this story! The only change was that Megara also came along for the ride, who, I should note, did NOT finish her dinner, leaving a gyoza, plenty of vegetables, and that soup. OH the soup. Drab had the nerve to ask me, "How was it?" I was contemplating between hurting his feelings in front of everyone versus retaining my thoughts to myself, when he assumed from my silence that the dinner might have been decent. My advice is always to expect the worst.

First of all, under the restaurant name was vegetarian Japanese cuisine. What could be so wrong about this subtext? VEGETARIAN. I eat everything; everyone knows that. So when I eat dinner, I should expect to eat vegetables AND meat. Experiences with vegetarian Asian places, as Janey also knows, unsuccessfully remove meat from their dishes in trying to create an animal-friendly menu. Vegetarian cuisine of any sort automatically tells me that no matter how much I eat, I will definitely be hungry within 3 hours. I'm blogging right now- I've been starving since 1:00 AM.

Nigori brand sake. Tolerable for me. One shot glass STILL gets me flushed. Ugh.

My dish- Sansai. An udon noodle soup dish with a melody of vegetables. Finely sliced cucumbers, carrots, straw mushrooms, soft udon noodles. So what's the problem? That it was all bathed in the most msg-laden, salt marsh of a soup. How would you feel if you were stuck in the desert, and every attempt at quenching your thirst with water ended up with you eating salt? Imagine that as I try to drench my noodles and vegetables in soup in order to moisten the meal. The more I drank, the thirstier I became, the worse my dry mouth got. Here's the treatment for such a condition according to Wiki: "Treatment involves finding any correctable causes and fixing those if possible. In many cases it is not possible to correct the xerostomia itself, and treatment focuses on relieving the symptoms and preventing cavities." What causes can I correct- Drab. He needs to get fixed.

If Drab could even accomplish a minute fraction of what it was like to have meals with Poorneel in any of the 4 days that he's been here- I don't know what would happen; I MAY just fall in love. I don't see Drab for a week and this is how he greets me- with a warm, salty, dehydrated welcome. Scratching himself all over at dinner too. I guess the itch has traveled from the head/scalp down to the entire torso. The whirlwind of savory morsels in the past 4 days- I guess all good things must come to an end, where Drab's always there waiting. How dependable...

One nice thing, though. I was pleasantly surprised with Megara tonight. I can actually stand one of Drab's friends for for an extended period of time- that being past 8 minutes. I've also been watching the Disney classic Hercules and favor Megara's only song in the movie, "I won't say I'm in love."

Poorneel had suggested that I was biased, and that he overruled my judgment. What?! Overruling MY judgment?! Inconceivable! Final note: I am ALWAYS objective about food. My parents live in fear because of my unwavering honesty with respect to gustation. NEVER assume that my lack of complaint at the dinner table directly translates to me thinking the meal was decent.

Good night.

No comments: